March Babies~TWW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cloth Diapering

+5
beautyonthebeach83
enixie99
madismom
Emmy
Laureenjellybean
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cloth Diapering - Page 2 Empty Cloth Diapering

Post  cjschwer Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:48 am

waiting to merge
cjschwer
cjschwer

Back to top Go down

Cloth Diapering - Page 2 Empty Re: Cloth Diapering

Post  Laureenjellybean Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:39 am

thnks!
Laureenjellybean
Laureenjellybean

Back to top Go down

Post  Laureenjellybean Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:20 pm

I just spent over an hour hand stripping most of my inserts, 3 AIO and 3 BGOS. What a pain in the butt!! THEY BETTER SMELL BETTER!! I am SO sick of the stink! GRRR...I think I've just been using way too much detergent. There is nothing worse than taking out a clean load of laundry, sniffing and smelling musty ick.
Laureenjellybean
Laureenjellybean

Back to top Go down

Post  madismom Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:31 am

Cloth Diapering - Page 2 2009JuneMisc035

Check out Lily in her new Gro Baby. I got it for free b/c I blogged about it. Dh thinks it isn't gonna be very good cuz you have to touch the nasty insert to unsnap it and put a new one on. The quality seems very good and I like the aplix- though we shall see how it wears. I don't think it can be one size as Lily could wear it on the biggest setting and get away with it and she is only 14 lbs. No way it would fit a toddler! It is super cute and the insert is really soft organic cotton- no stinkies:) what do ya think? I need to revamp opur stash since she is too big for her nb fitted KL 0's-but don't really know what to get- I would like something that will get us through pl'ing- my dream would be to have 24 BG OS orgainc AIO's but that would be after I won the damn lotto!!!
madismom
madismom

http://suanddennisstone.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  jmark Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:47 pm

Laureenjellybean - try stripping the dipes in the dishwasher. I know it sounds completely crazy, but it works really well! Put them on the top rack (without dishes obviously) and run the dishwasher (without detergent, LOL). The water in the dishwasher gets super hot so it is great for getting rid of the residual laundry detergent. Run it several times if needed until you don't see bubbles when you open the dishwasher mid-cycle.
jmark
jmark

Back to top Go down

Post  Laureenjellybean Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:57 pm

jmark-Thanks for the suggestion. I'm a little hesitent to do that because with my luck, it'll fall off onto the heating element and burn my house down! I think they're stripped as they need to be. I suspect that I wasn't drying my inserts enough and then I was inserting them into my pockets, because they were smelling like mildew...despite an every other day washing. With dawn, bleach and a LOT of work, they're finally smelling better. I've cut way back on the detergent, as I think I was using way too much!
Laureenjellybean
Laureenjellybean

Back to top Go down

Post  beautyonthebeach83 Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:31 pm

Wow, I have never heard of the dishwasher thing! Thanks for the tip JMark!

Su, Lily looks cute in her Grobaby! I too wish I could have 24 BGOS organic dipes! Right now I only have the original kind. Are the inserts organic cotton too, or yucky MF?
beautyonthebeach83
beautyonthebeach83

Back to top Go down

Post  punkybrewster Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:36 pm

Laureen, how are your mf inserts doing?

Those with BGOS...what rise is your LO on now and how big (approx. height/weight) are they? I have no idea when to move to the next rise.
punkybrewster
punkybrewster

http://david.locals.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  iamshannon Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:29 pm

I just noticed this thread and I was excited since I need sooo much help!! Smile

I just ordered the 6-pack of gdiapers and they came yesterday. But I didn't realize I needed to buy the inserts too... it said there were liners and I assumed it was all I needed. Duh!! Embarassed So I ordered some on ebay and now I'm waiting for those.

It seems like there are so many details and I'm so overwhelmed. I thought this pack would come with instructions but it didn't! I'm not sure where to start, even. I know I've heard about prewashing so I think I do that a bunch of times? Do I do that with both the dipes and the inserts? And there is a stick to stir the inserts in the toilet... do I do that all the time and then put the inserts in a pail or something and then wash them all at once?

How many do you need to be able to do it full time? I will only have these 6 to start with. I hope I like them. I have a friend who just loves gdiapers so I was finally convinced when I saw the deal on the 6-pack. Now I feel so lost! But I'm excited b/c it seems like everyone who CDs is totally in love with it. I need a new addiction Very Happy

Su, I'm going to try the blogging for a free diaper too! I hope the promotion is still going on Smile
iamshannon
iamshannon

Back to top Go down

Post  punkybrewster Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:05 pm

Hi Shannon! Welcome to the club!
I don't have much experience with gdiapers, but I think some of the ladies on the CD forum on TWW have. I think the idea is you buy disposable/flushable inserts and just change the inserts (and flush/compost the dirty ones). If the liner gets dirty, then you wash that? I think you can use prefolds or cloth inserts instead to save money as I think the inserts are expensive? I love the different prints on the gpants you can get...they're super cute.

My routine:
I have a pail liner (a WAHMies, that I don't even put in a pail, just have it in the corner of his room) that I put the dirty dipes in. I have only pocket diapers (one AIO), so I pull out the insert first, and fold the velcro to the laundry tabs on the dipes with velcro. I do have a diaper sprayer (although if you bf, you won't need one until they eat solids) and spray his poopies.
Every 2-3 days I do a wash. I use a CD friendly detergent (Allen's) - just a small capful. I do an extra rinse and then dry. I washed them all beforehand. Any diapers that have hemp/bamboo/other natural fibers should be washed several times separately so that the oils don't run onto the other fabrics and they become more absorbent.
I've never swished, and the pail liner never stinks! I leave it open too. When we used disposables, the garbage pail reaked and it was closed!
I have 20 diapers on my rotation and it's a good amount for us. He only poops every other day or so and we change his diaper every 2-3 hours.

GL! I know how overwhelming it is to start off! And once you get into it - it is sooooo addicting! There are so many cute diapers. It starts off being so economical until you find yourself surfing the online stores for new diapers that your LO just HAS to have! Laughing
punkybrewster
punkybrewster

Back to top Go down

Post  beautyonthebeach83 Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:06 pm

Shannon, a CD'ing blog mama whose newsletter I read just did a blog on these a few days ago: http://allaboutclothdiapers.com/truth-about-g-diapers/
beautyonthebeach83
beautyonthebeach83

Back to top Go down

Post  iamshannon Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:37 pm

beautyonthebeach83 wrote:Shannon, a CD'ing blog mama whose newsletter I read just did a blog on these a few days ago: http://allaboutclothdiapers.com/truth-about-g-diapers/

Thanks! I read it and it made me feel good about my purchase Smile I am not using the flushies b/c they are expensive and kind of defeat the purpose. I ordered some of the inserts but they aren't here yet. But the covers did come yesterday! I tried one on him just to see how it fit.

Cloth Diapering - Page 2 Dipe+009
iamshannon
iamshannon

Back to top Go down

Post  Laureenjellybean Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:09 pm

Shannon-Aww...he looks cute in his new diaper. Do they velcro in the back?? I haven't really looked at them up close. Diaperswappers.com has a few comments on G-diapers as well. You might find that helpful. I can't help you on a wash routine, because apparently, mine STINKS! GRRR...

Shauna-I'm ready to throw my MF out the window!!! After all that scrubbing, only 3 of the 6 bgos diapers smelled fresh. NOW, none of my inserts smell fresh. I jsut can't figure out this stupid laundry thing. ON top of that DS has a rash that I can't figure out. I rinse my diapers like CRAZY, so I really dont' think it is from detergent. It WAS only in the front, but has since popped up a little in the back. It doesn't look like yeast though, because it isn't in the cracks. I'm so frustrated! This CD stuff is supposed to be good for little bums, but my DS always seems to have rashes, no matter how often I change. I've had him in PFs for two days now and I've been changing every 2 hours or less depending on if he goes sooner. I've been trying to use wool as well or coverless. Any thoughts?
Laureenjellybean
Laureenjellybean

Back to top Go down

Post  jmark Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:25 pm

Laureen - I bleached my microfiber inserts when the stink got bad with my girls. It always took care of the problem for awhile.
jmark
jmark

Back to top Go down

Post  Laureenjellybean Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:57 pm

I bleached mine and I swear, the stink was back within the week! It's brutal! I might just start stuffing with PF's.
Laureenjellybean
Laureenjellybean

Back to top Go down

Post  punkybrewster Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:09 pm

Laureen, I'm sorry you're still having issues with your mf. Have you tried dawn? I don't have stink issues yet but I may switch to pfs.

So here's a weird question. David isn't rolling over yet and hasn't really been showing ready signs either. I've also noticed that the only time he really grabs his toes are when he's diaperless. For some reason, this morning DH put him in a sposie and he started grabbing his feet. I kept him in them for most of the day and he's now rolling onto his sides! He's back in cloth and now nothing. Coincidence?
punkybrewster
punkybrewster

Back to top Go down

Post  Laureenjellybean Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:38 pm

Yeah, I tried the dawn. I THINK they smell better today. I sun dried them. It had been raining forever prior to this weekend. NOW, DS has a stupid rash that I can't get rid of! I'm so irritated! It's like a burn. I rinse my diapers like crazy, so I can't imagine it would be detergent burn. UGG!
Laureenjellybean
Laureenjellybean

Back to top Go down

Post  madismom Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:30 pm

wow- I have missed so much diaper chatter:) Shannon- hooray for coming to cloth:) the gdipes are so cute on your lil man:) I can not feel your stink pain girls- I surfed lots of forums and the overwhelming topic was mf stink so i decided to only use cotton. I may try bamboo. We use kl0's though she is outgrowing the rise quickly. I also use prefolds and love thirsties covers. She sleeps in an aristocrat soaker at night. I need to revamp my stash but dh doesn't want to spend more $$ but I am looking for a good trim fitted with no stank- any ideas?? We also have one gro-baby- not in luv with it. and one lonely pink BG OS AIO organic that I LOVE!!! I would have a whole stash of those if I could. I really want the prefold love and can do it- but not with love:( I want a fitted or all BG AIO OS:(((( I could sell my NB stash to fund bigger dipes but I want to save them for our next baby... any ideas??
madismom
madismom

Back to top Go down

Post  beautyonthebeach83 Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:48 pm

Hmmm...Shauna, I wondered the same, but Jeffrey was trying to roll back to tummy today, and he was in a big BGOS stuffed w/ the infant MF and a NB pf. Cloth Diapering - Page 2 Dunno I've heard that CD'ed babies may become bowlegged but I don't know if there's any truth to that. Sorry, that was sort of OT. heh
beautyonthebeach83
beautyonthebeach83

Back to top Go down

Post  madismom Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:23 pm

wouldn't we all be bow legged if that was the case?? I was cd'ed:) MAybe dont stuff em so full in the day and change more frequently? I know I am changing dipes about every hour or so in the day when she is awake so I don't have to stuff her full:)
madismom
madismom

Back to top Go down

Post  madismom Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:24 pm

Laureen- did you try California baby calming rash cream? Lily hasn't ever had a bad rash but sometimes she gets red and this stuff works great. I have heard awesome things about the Magic Stick also. Do you do an extra rinse? What is your wash routine?
madismom
madismom

Back to top Go down

Post  Laureenjellybean Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:06 pm

SU-I haven't tried the California rash cream. I may think about that. The rash is FINALLY starting to go away today...though it started coming back a little on his legs after being in a coolababy for all of an hour and a half. Evil or Very Mad I'm wondering if maybe the elastic area on the leg is holding onto detergent.
Do I EVER do a extra rinse. This is my current plan of attack. (note, we had the rash before the vinegar) Cold rinse and spin. Additional rinse no spin. 1/4 scoop CS+2 caps of vinegar in cold/cold quick wash with heavy soil. 1/4 cup (or slighly less) CS on hot/cold wash, heavy soil. stain cycle (which does an extra rinse)+ additional rinse at the end. THEN, once that is done, I do an additional 1-2 rinses. It is crazy! I have soft water, so that may be part of the problem. Any less detergent, then they don't seem to get clean. Darn FL machine!
I don't really have any suggestions on the trim daytime fitted. I use very few, as I don't love fitteds in general. I DO like my dream eze fitted though. The rise is on the high side, but it is fairly trim. If you wanted, it would be easy to add in a doubler as well.
Laureenjellybean
Laureenjellybean

Back to top Go down

Post  punkybrewster Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:56 pm

I posted this on the TWW CD forum...what do you guys think?

I had D in sposies for 4 or 5 days and when he was playing on the floor he'd be grabbing his feet and rolling onto his side...I even caught him trying to roll over a few times.
I started putting him in cloth again and it's day 2 and the only time he's grabbed his feet is when I'm changing his diaper and he has nothing on. When he's on his mat playing his feet just lays still. :?

I love my cloth (and spent a ton on them!) but I can't see how this is just a coincidence...I use only pockets, mostly BGOS and blueberries with a few others (rocky mountain, hhs, mommy's touch). I've tried the BGOS and Blueberries on all the rise settings to see if they were too loose/tight but it doesn't make a difference. They're just so bulky I don't think he can life his feet up.

I don't know what to do Sad I think I may just switch to sposies until he's more mobile???
punkybrewster
punkybrewster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum