March Babies~TWW
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prevacid (why do the titles need to be so long??)

4 posters

Go down

Prevacid (why do the titles need to be so long??) Empty Prevacid (why do the titles need to be so long??)

Post  ehumbleart Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:44 am

So, at Violets 4 month well check I told the doc that she was still having nasty burps where she burps and you know something has come up because her eyes get all watery, etc. She also still has an occasional cough. The thing that was worrying me the most was her hoarse voice. I had papalomis on my vocal cord when I was young which required me to have 27 laser surgeries from the time I was one until I was four. I suddenly disappeared :knock on wood: Anyway, the doctor wanted me to try her on prevacid to see how she did. Holy crap!!! first of all, that stuff is expensive, with insurance! I think I paid $87 for 15 tablets. I was instructed to cut them in half and dissolve them in water and give it to her that way. Well, that is not working very well. She spits most of it out. Any suggestions? I hate to waste this "gold" medicine Wink
ehumbleart
ehumbleart

Back to top Go down

Prevacid (why do the titles need to be so long??) Empty Re: Prevacid (why do the titles need to be so long??)

Post  lovebug-Michelle Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:28 am

Aw, I'm sorry about the reflux...we've had issues on our end, too, and I know it stinks!

We also went the Prevacid route for a bit; I know it's very expensive!! It didn't work for Audrey so we put her back on Zantac. It did work for Norah (who has now outgrown her reflux). We cut the tabs in half and then just held them on her cheek/tongue until it dissolved. Kind of a pain, and Audrey spit a lot of it out, but Norah kept most of it in.

I hope she clears up quickly!!
lovebug-Michelle
lovebug-Michelle

http://www.keepingupwiththecollinsfamily.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Prevacid (why do the titles need to be so long??) Empty Re: Prevacid (why do the titles need to be so long??)

Post  laurensmommy Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:37 am

James is on Prevacid! Sorry your insurance isn't paying more for it! Luckily, we only pay $25 for ours with our insurance. Anyway, here is what I do. I put the tablet in the syringe with no water and then I suck up a little bit of water and wait for it to dissolve. The beads all float to the tip of the syringe and I give it to him them. Sometimes a bit of the beads stick to the side of the syringe so I just suck up a little more water and wait for those beads to float to the tip. Sometimes I give it a tiny tap to help the beads float down. Lauren was on it too and when she was older, we just put it in her cheek and it dissolved in there. I hope that helps!! Smile
laurensmommy
laurensmommy

Back to top Go down

Post  fuel1316 Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:48 pm

i have to give liquid meds daily and i always had the spitting/dribbling problem. what i do not is poor the amountg into a small plastic medicine cup (the ones the hospital brings your meds in) and i mix in a little rice cereal to make it a solid she can eat, not she cant spit it out and if she does i just spoon it right back in
fuel1316
fuel1316

Back to top Go down

Post  laurensmommy Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:00 pm

Oh, and with the Prevacid, it has to be taken on an empty tummy to work. I usually give it to James and hold him off of eating for about 30 minutes. Smile
laurensmommy
laurensmommy

Back to top Go down

Post  ehumbleart Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:56 pm

WHAT?!?!?!? Why didn't anyone tell me that??? Man, I have been feeding either right before or right after. No wonder her little voice is still so hoarse! The damn meds aren't working. Thanks for all the genius ideas ladies Very Happy I did the dissolve it on her cheek thing today and it totally worked but I did give her a bottle right after so she would swallow it down. Guess that won't work anymore. Mary, what time of day is best to give the meds? Is he on half a tablet? I am having a hard time splitting them properly because they are so soft and crumble easily.
ehumbleart
ehumbleart

Back to top Go down

Post  laurensmommy Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:59 pm

ehumbleart wrote:WHAT?!?!?!? Why didn't anyone tell me that??? Man, I have been feeding either right before or right after. No wonder her little voice is still so hoarse! The damn meds aren't working. Thanks for all the genius ideas ladies Very Happy I did the dissolve it on her cheek thing today and it totally worked but I did give her a bottle right after so she would swallow it down. Guess that won't work anymore. Mary, what time of day is best to give the meds? Is he on half a tablet? I am having a hard time splitting them properly because they are so soft and crumble easily.

Smile No problem friend. I give James an entire tablet in the morning but with Lauren I did a half tablet 3 times a day. I usually feed him first thing in the morning, then I wait about an hour and a half or 30 minutes before he eats again before I give him the tablet. That has been working well. He takes Zantac in the evening which I have to plan the same way because it works on an empty tummy.
laurensmommy
laurensmommy

Back to top Go down

Post  fuel1316 Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:59 pm

do your pharmacys not compound this med for you? when cookie was on prevacid they compounded it for me so i had it in a liquid
fuel1316
fuel1316

Back to top Go down

Post  laurensmommy Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:02 pm

fuel1316 wrote:do your pharmacys not compound this med for you? when cookie was on prevacid they compounded it for me so i had it in a liquid

Really? Laurens GI Dr. said that the meds aren't as effective when they are compounded. I asked because I was trying to find a better way to give it to her. I guess once the beads are dissolved in water, they are only effective for so long. Thats what the Dr. told us anyway. Strange how different Dr's give different advice.
laurensmommy
laurensmommy

Back to top Go down

Post  fuel1316 Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:05 pm

laurensmommy wrote:
fuel1316 wrote:do your pharmacys not compound this med for you? when cookie was on prevacid they compounded it for me so i had it in a liquid

Really? Laurens GI Dr. said that the meds aren't as effective when they are compounded. I asked because I was trying to find a better way to give it to her. I guess once the beads are dissolved in water, they are only effective for so long. Thats what the Dr. told us anyway. Strange how different Dr's give different advice.
what dose is he on? cookie was on 2.5ml daily. from what our pharmacy said its not a common dose.

cookie needed it to help gain weight. the meds she takes to help her absorb fat doesnt break down in acid so we have to reduce her stomach acid so they break down more (the dr thought this was why she has slow weight gain)
fuel1316
fuel1316

Back to top Go down

Post  laurensmommy Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:15 pm

That sounds like the liquid dose Elisa-- James is on 15mg a day. I say if it works for her then continue to do that! Smile
laurensmommy
laurensmommy

Back to top Go down

Post  fuel1316 Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:16 pm

shes been out of it for a coupld weeks now. we go back to CHLA on the 22nd and well see if she puts her back on it or not.

it doesnt seem like zantac or pravicid did much for her :dunno:
fuel1316
fuel1316

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down